Salisbury Cathedral Close Preservation Society
Northgate & West Walk – Wren Hall
Wren Hall was funded by a former pupil of the Cathedral School, Sir Stephen Fox and built by William Naish, Clerk of Works of the Cathedral in 1714 to furnish a classroom and further dormitories for the choristers. The only debt it may owe to Wren is in its style, a suitable memorial to that great Wiltshire born architect. After the removal of the Choir School the College of Sarum St Michael acquired it for a short period until it became the Diocesan archive repository. In the 1980`s it was used as the Spire Appeal office and in the past few years has become a Cathedral educational resource centre for school visits. The Big School Room or BSR still retains much of its old choir school character with its back to back classes – the Headmaster`s desk remains at one end and the assistant master’s desk at the other. Dormitories are above in the attic.
Text by John Bushell – Photographs by H.-Dieter Scholz