Salisbury Cathedral Close Preservation Society
High Street Gate / Porter’s Lodge
Northgate & West Walk – High Street Gate / Porter’s Lodge
Built between 1327 and 1342 the High Street gate is the main point of entry into the Cathedral Close. It housed the small lock-up jail for those convicted of misdeeds within the Liberty of the Close. Beside the gate stands the Porters Lodge. The post of porter to the Close was a much sought-after sinecure for the servants of kings and nobles in the Middle Ages. Before the building of St Osmund`s Roman Catholic Church in Exeter Street a Roman Catholic Chapel was registered as being in the lodge.
The gate is locked at 11.00pm every night and opened again at 6:00am.